FREE flu evaluations
Here are some tips for keeping the influenza disease away from you and your family.
1. WASH YOUR HANDS. This is so easy and keeps many germs at bay. Be especially vigilant about making sure your hands have been washed before touching your eyes, nose, or mouth. Remember to wash your hands before helping the elderly or young children and babies. Always wash your hands before eating or preparing food.
2. GET REST and REDUCE STRESS. The old saying, "Early to bed, early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise" is something to take seriously during flu season. Go to bed on time or even early if needed. Take some time to relax and wind down each night. Sneak in a 10 minute nap during your lunch break. Try to cut some events, projects, and unnecessary stress out of your life during the winter months.
3. KEEP IT CLEAN. Keep the surfaces in your home and work area nice and clean. It never hurts to wipe down doorknobs, faucets, railings, keyboards, and cell phones.
4. EAT HEALTHY. Dump the junk food and get some delicious fruits and veggies in your diet. Get plenty of vitamins (especially vitamin C) to help your immune system stay strong.
5. GET A FLU SHOT. It's still not too late to get a flu shot. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) still recommends the shot to reduce the influenza virus. It will still protect you against other flu strains.
If you think you have the flu virus . . .
If you suspect you have the flu, stay away from places with a lot of people in small areas (i.e. airplanes, school, small offices). If you must go out, wear a mask. Wearing a mask at home can also help you not spread the virus to your children, or the elderly in your home.
Symptoms of the flu according to the CDC:
"Influenza, commonly called the "flu," is a contagious viral infection that mostly affects the respiratory system — your nose, throat and lungs. Symptoms of the flu can include fever, cough, sore throat, runny or stuffy nose, body aches, headache, chills and fatigue. Some people may also have vomiting and diarrhea."
Free Flu Evalutions at Westside Medical
We are also running a flu study that you may be eligible for. All participants will be compensated. If you have a fever over 101.4, body aches, chills, and you have NOT had the flu shot, you may be able to participate. For more info call our research department at 801-614-5501.